Tuesday, March 16, 2010

AVATAR concept design


here's a little bit of the concept work i did for avatar.
these are weapon designs for the RDA security forces on pandora.
i really went super nerdy designing these things, and worked out all the little details, like the reloading process (pre-packaged plastic magazines that you tear the top off and load, complete with e-ink ammo counter on the sides. then you twist the top dial to chamber and cock the first round), how the modular pieces form various weapon types (the under barrel grenade launcher on the assault version forms the base of the shotgun/20mm munition launcher) etc etc etc good fun! these versions are the original caseless designs, but the finals in the film had cased munitions, and ejection ports, as jim wanted brass flying. he also asked for the shotgun to be pump action, which was fucking awesome cause pumping the final prop (with norinco 12 gauge pump internals) is a highlight of my time at weta.

18 comments:

  1. Super cool to see some updates on your blog man! Looks like nerding out on these designs paid off, nice and functional or at least looks that way to me :) hope you keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome design work! Thanks for sharing! Hope to see more of it here or maybe on the dvd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible. Seems like you had tons of fun doing it =) These weapons are so cool..
    Please keep posting!! I really dig your artwork =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assembled heaps of these mofo's when they went from 2D to 3D! Yuusss.. They were fun to play with, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mean bro! Hope we get to nerd out like this on some other weapon designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome bro! 'Matanza', spanish for slaughter - I like!

    More!

    ReplyDelete
  7. was a big fan of your work on avatar. always thought your attention to detail and design sense was top notch. congrats aaron-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frickin' awesome! I can't believe these are not real weapons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks really good, ammo - very nice. Especially primary weapon square ammo, looks like it's fully combustible caseless ones (same as for HK G11).
    But in the movie, in the final design they used standard ammo, with cases, why?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hated the weapon designs in Avatar when I first saw them, but they've really grown on me to the point where I now love them. The no-frills look really suits the future setting and the modular concept is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I was searching this a long time! Can you answer some questions? (If you are still here)
    - How do you extract defective (unburned) ammo?
    - How 6.2 mm's magazine work?
    - I can't see the gus tube. There is straight blowback?
    - (Куда отходит затвор?) (I don't know how to translate this :( )
    Perhaps there is more questions, but I don't remember what I wanted to ask.
    (Sorry for my English)

    ReplyDelete
  12. visit this web-site best replica designer why not check here buy replica bags online check this link right here now replica wallets

    ReplyDelete